||Freedom Evolves [permalink]
||Daniel Dennett (author)
||Philosophy, psychology and science
||0-670-03186-0 [Amazon, B&N, Abe, Powell's]
Chapter 1: Natural Freedom
- Learning What We Are
- I Am Who I Am
- The Air We Breathe
- Dumbo's Magic Feather and the Peril of Paulina
Chapter 2: A Tool for Thinking About Determinism
- Some Useful Oversimplifications
- From Physics to Design in conway's Life World
- Can We Get the Deus ex Machina?
- From Slow-motion Avoidance to Star Wars
- The Birth of Evitability
Chapter 3: Thinking About Determinism
- Possible Worlds
- Austin's Putt
- A Computer Chess Marathon
- Events without Causes in a Deterministic Universe
- Will the Future Be Like the Past?
Chapter 4: A Hearing for Libertarianism
- The Appeal of Libertarianism
- Where Should We Put the Much-needed Gap?
- Kane's Mode of Indeterministic Decision-making
- "If you make yourself really small, you can externalize virtually everything"
- Beware of Prime Mammals
- How Can It Be "Up to Me"?
Chapter 5: Where Does all the Design Come From?
- Early Days
- The Prisoner's Dilemma
- E Pluribus Unum?
- Digression: The Threat of Genetic Determinism
- Degrees of Freedom and the Search for Truth
Chapter 6: The Evolution of Open Minds
- How Cultural Symbionts Turn Primates into Persons
- The Diversity of Darwinian Explanations
- Nice Tools, but You Still Have to Use Them
Chapter 7: The Evolution of Moral Agency
- Being Good in Order to Seem Good
- Learning to Deal with Yourself
- Our Costly Merit Badges
Chapter 8: Are You Out of the Loop?
- Drawing the Wrong Moral
- Whenever the Spirit Moves You
- A Mind-writer's View
- A Self of One's Own
Chapter 9: Bootstrapping Ourselves Free
- How We Captured Reasons and Made Them Our Own
- Psychic Engineering and the Arms Race of Rationality
- With a Little Help from My Friends
- Autonomy, Brainwashing, and Education
Chapter 10: The Future of Human Freedom
- Holding the Line against Creeping Exculpation
- "Thanks, I Needed That!"
- Are We Freer Than We Want to Be?
- Human Freedom Is Fragile