Back to Books
||Breaking the Spell: Religion as a Natural Phenomenon [permalink]
||Daniel Dennett (author)
||0-670-03472-X [Amazon, B&N, Abe, Powell's]
|Table of Contents
Part I: Opening Pandora's Box
- 1 Breaking Which Spell?
- 1 What's going on?
- 2 A Working definition of religion
- 3 To break or not to break
- 4 Peering in the abyss
- 5 Religion as a natural phenomenon
- 2 Some Questions About Science
- 1 Can science study religion?
- 2 Should science study religion?
- 3 Might music be bad for you?
- 4 Would neglect be more benign?
- 3 Why Good Things Happen
- 1 Bringing out the best
- 2 Cui bono?
- 3 Asking what pays for religion
- 4 A Martian's list of theories
Part II: The Evolution of Religion
- 4 The Roots of Religion
- 1 The births of religions
- 2 The raw materials of religion
- 3 How Nature deals with the problem of other minds
- 5 Religion, the Early Days
- 1 Too many agents: competition for rehearsal space
- 2 Gods as interested parties
- 3 Getting the gods to speak to us
- 4 Shamans as hypnotists
- 5 Memory-engineering devices in oral cultures
- 6 The Evolution of Stewardship
- 1 The music of religion
- 2 Folk religion as practical know-how
- 3 Creeping reflection and the birth of secrecy in religion
- 4 The domestication of religions
- 7 The Invention of Team Spirit
- 1 A path paved with good intentions
- 2 The ant colony and the corporation
- 3 The growth market in religion
- 4 A God you can talk to
- 8 Belief in Belief
- 1 You better believe it
- 2 God as intentional object
- 3 The division of doxastic labor
- 4 The lowest common denominator?
- 5 Beliefs designed to be professed
- 6 Lessons from Lebanon: the strange cases of the Druze and Kim Philby
- 7 Does God exist?
Part III: Religion Today
- 9 Toward a Buyer's Guide to Religions
- 1 For the love of God
- 2 The academic smoke screen
- 3 Why does it matter what you believe?
- 4 What can your religion do for you?
- 10 Morality and Religion
- 1 Does religion make us moral?
- 2 Is religion what gives meaning to your life?
- 3 What can we say about sacred values?
- 4 Bless my soul: spirituality and selfishness
- 11 Now What Do We Do?
- 1 Just a theory
- 2 Some avenues to explore: how can we home in on religious conviction?
- 3 What shall we tell the children?
- 4 Toxic memes
- 5 Patience and politics
- A The New Replicators
- B Some More Questions About Science
- C The Bellboy and the Lady Named Tuck
- D Kim Philby as a Real Case of Indeterminacy of Radical Interpretation
Back to Books