Back to Books
Darwin's Dangerous Idea: Evolution and the Meanings of Life
- Publication year:
- Original publication year:
- Has read?
- Table of Contents:
Part I: Starting in the Middle
Chapter One: Tell Me Why
- Is Nothing Sacred?
- What, Where, When, Why—and How?
- Locke's "Proof" of the Primacy of Mind
- Hume's Close Encounter
Chapter Two: An Idea Is Born
- What Is So Special About Species?
- Natural Selection—an Awful Stretcher
- Did Darwin Explain the Origin of Species?
- Natural Selection as an Algorithmic Process
- Processes as Algorithms
Chapter Three: Universal Acid
- Early Reactions
- Darwin's Assault on the Cosmic Pyramid
- The Principle of the Accumulation of Design
- The Tools for R and D: Skyhooks or Cranes?
- Who's Afraid of Reductionism?
Chapter Four: The Tree of Life
- How Should We Visualize the Tree of Life?
- Color-coding a Species on the Tree
- Retrospective Coronations: Mitochondrial Eve and Invisible Beginnings
- Patterns, Oversimplification, and Explanation
Chapter Five: The Possible and the Actual
- Grades of Possibility?
- The Library of Mendel
- The Complex Relation Between Genome and Organism
- Possibility Naturalized
Chapter Six: Threads of Actuality in Design Space
- Drifting and Lifting Through Design Space
- Forced Moves in the Game of Design
- The Unity of Design Space
Part II: Darwinian Thinking in Biology
Chapter Seven: Priming Darwin's Pump
- Back Beyond Darwin's Frontier
- Molecular Evolution
- The Laws of the Game of Life
- Eternal Recurrence—Life Without Foundations?
Chapter Eight: Biology Is Engineering
- The Sciences of the Artificial
- Darwin Is Dead—Long Live Darwin!
- Function and Specification
- Original Sin and the Birth of Meaning
- The Computer That Learned to Play Checkers
- Artificial Hermeneutics, or Reverse Engineering
- Stuart Kauffman as Meta-Engineer
Chapter Nine: Searching for Quality
- The Power of Adaptationist Thinking
- The Leibnizian Paradigm
- Playing with Constraints
Chapter Ten: Bully for Brontosaurus
- The Boy Who Cried Wolf?
- The Spandrel's Thumb
- Punctuated Equilibrium: A Hopeful Monster
- Tinker to Evers to Chance: The Burgess Shale Double-Play Mystery
Chapter Eleven: Controversies Contained
- A Clutch of Harmless Heresies
- Three Losers: Teilhard, Lamarck, and Directed Mutation
- Cui Bono?
Part III: Mind, Meaning, Mathematics, and Morality
Chapter Twelve: The Cranes of Culture
- The Monkey's Uncle Meets the meme
- Invasion of the Body-Snatchers
- Could There Be a Science of Memetics?
- The Philosophical Importance of Memes
Chapter Thirteen: Losing Our Minds to Darwin
- The Role of Language in Intelligence
- Chomsky Contra Darwin: Four Episodes
- Nice Tries
Chapter Fourteen: The Evolution of Meanings
- The Quest for Real Meaning
- Two Black Boxes
- Blocking the Exits
- Safe Passage to the Future
Chapter Fifteen: The Emperor's New Mind, and Other Fables
- The Sword in the Stone
- The Library of Toshiba
- The Phantom Quantum-Gravity Computer Lessons from Lapland
Chapter Sixteen: On the Origin of Morality
- E Pluribus Unum?
- Friedrich Nietzsche's Just So Stories
- Some Varieties of Greedy Ethical Reductionism
- Sociobiology: Good and Bad, Good and Evil
Chapter Seventeen: Redesigning Morality
- Can Ethics Be Naturalized?
- Judging the Competition
- The Moral First Aid Manual
Chapter Eighteen: The future of an Idea
- In Praise of Biodiversity
- Universal Acid: Handle with Care
Back to Books